[vbox-dev] Virtualbox compiled as PIE/PIC

Dariem Pérez Herrera dariemp at uci.cu
Sun Feb 21 01:52:52 GMT 2010

Hi,
This is a patch I made trying to solve an issue presented in Gentoo
Hardened project. VirtualBox doesn't compile with gcc if PIC/PIE related
options are activated. The problem is related to inline asm code trying
to use ebx register for passing arguments, but PIC/PIE systems reserve
this register for specific functions, so special treatment is required
when PIC/PIE is defined (gcc refuses to compile such a code if you don't
do it). This may need extensive testing, but it seems to work fine.
Please, let me know any problem you encounter. The patch is under MIT
license.

best regards,

Dariem