[vbox-dev] How to powerup a vm and how to delete a messed vm?

Klaus Espenlaub Klaus.Espenlaub at Sun.COM
Tue Feb 9 10:42:38 GMT 2010

DavidW wrote:
> I use webservice to create a vm, at the end, I use IConsole_powerUp to
> boot it up, it seems I did it wrong, since the status of the vm is
> “starting” now and I cannot delete it. So my question is

This is _very_ wrong. What you attempted is forcibly powering up the VM
_in_ vboxwebsrv (as that's the proxy which translates webservice request
to actual API calls). You apparently didn't read the big "Note" in the
IConsole::powerUp API description.

> 1, how to start a vm after you create it with webservice.

As stated in that note, use IVirtualBox::openRemoteSession.

> 2, vm like the one I have with status “starting”, how do I delete it or
> reset it?

You probably should restart the webservice. That will clean up this
weird state which will never happen if the API is used properly.