[vbox-dev] Writing extensions for VirtualBox and announcement of a general purpose VM controller project

Achim Hasenmüller achim.hasenmueller at oracle.com
Wed Dec 29 08:52:35 GMT 2010

Rohit,

interesting project. I think your approach is the right one. What VMController does is (as the name suggests) control VirtualBox. Therefore the Python API is the right interface. It is part of VirtualBox' philosophy to introduce incompatible API changes in major versions. It is therefore to be expected, that you have to perform some adjustments in VMController in order to support VirtualBox 4.0. However, we do not allow such incompatible changes for maintenance updates and we also continue to support and update previous versions of the product.

For each release, the SDK documentation (http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/SDKRef.pdf ) contains a complete list of incompatible API changes with information on how to adjust your code. Check out chapter 12 of the SDK reference.

The extension pack mechanism is indeed similar to the concept offered by Firefox and it's really meant to extend the functionality of VirtualBox. We intent do provide sample code on how to develop extension packs in the near future. However, I don't think it would be the right approach for you.

Achim