[vbox-dev] KVM & VirtualBox

Michael van der Kolff mvanderkolff at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 20:37:21 GMT 2010

That's sort of what I thought of it as. I was sort of wondering though why
it seemed that IOMMMIORead wasn't called anywhere
On 23/12/2010 3:41 AM, "Huihong Luo" <huisinro at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Another way to look at this is to use VBox's device emulation code for
KVM, replacing current QEMU emulation. Either way, lots of work.

> --- On Wed, 12/22/10, Sander van Leeuwen <sander.x.van.leeuwen at oracle.com>
wrote:

> From: Sander van Leeuwen <sander.x.van.leeuwen at oracle.com>
> Subject: Re: [vbox-dev] KVM & VirtualBox
> To: vbox-dev at virtualbox.org
> Date: Wednesday, December 22, 2010, 5:33 AM
>

> Michael,
>
> That sounds like a pointless exercise to me. First of all VirtualBox isn't
some QEmu extension like KVM
> and the entire code is very tightly integrated.  It's not possible without
rewriting 75% of the hypervisor.
> Be my guest, but I don't know how many man years you've allocated for this
task. :-)
> I also fail to see what you want to accomplish with that.
>
> (MM)IO is handled in the instruction emulator, which calls the IOM*
functions, which end up calling
> the registered device handlers. (src/VBox/VMM for IO handling,
src/VBox/Devices for the virtual device code)