[vbox-dev] v4.0.0_BETA4 - IVRDEServer - VideoChannel & VideoChannelQuality

Mario Lobo mlobo at digiart.art.br
Tue Dec 21 21:43:40 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 21 December 2010 10:15:01 Klaus Espenlaub wrote:
> > Could anyone explain what they are or what are they for? Are they
> > "inside" the OSE source code we use to build the FreeBSD port from?
>
> Extension packs are a new thing with 4.0.0. Up to 3.2.x there were two
> flavors of VirtualBox - the binary packages from virtualbox.org and the
> packages built from the VirtualBox OSE sources. The former had a couple
> more features and a different license, the latter was released as source
> code under GPLv2.
>
> With 4.0.0 the VirtualBox packages from virtualbox.org are built from
> the GPLed sources (which now cover more code than ever before), and
> contain no closed source components. The remaining closed source
> components (VRDP, USB 2.0 and Intel PXE) are now in a separate package,
> the mentioned Oracle extension pack. It can be installed with any 4.0.0
> package, independently of who built it - Oracle or any 3rd party.
>
> Since extension packs can be created by anyone this means VirtualBox now
> has an open architecture, where 3rd parties can add functionality (we
> expect an extpack containing the web frontend and maybe a VNC extpack).
>
> In principle. The Oracle extension pack doesn't contain code for
> FreeBSD, and thus there is no real change (except that it benefits from
> the previously closed features which are now open source). It covers
> Windows/Solaris/Linux/OSX, as before.
>
> I expect the web frontend extpack to be platform independent (as I heard
> it will be using python), so that one might work with FreeBSD.
>
> Klaus

Thank you very much Klaus, for these details.

As a small addition to your explanation, there is a web frontend port in
FreeBSD called phpvirtualbox. It used to be vboxweb and yes, it was in python.
I have tested phpvirtualbox only once and very quickly. I didn't push it very
far but as far as I took it, it felt just like the QT frontend.

Thank you and all the team this marvelous software. I've been using it for
quite a while now, with several OSes, under very different circumstances and
with different hosts and it never let me down in any aspect. And so far, every
new version trully improves on the previous, be it speed or features. No other
hypervisor I´ve tried compares to VBox, specially with FreeBSD amd64 as its
host.

Best wishes,
--
Mario Lobo