[vbox-dev] VBoxGuestAdditions.iso size - optimization possible for v4.0 ?

Achim Hasenmüller achim.hasenmueller at oracle.com
Thu Dec 16 14:57:50 GMT 2010

On Dec 16, 2010, at 15:27 , Alexey Eromenko wrote:

> 3. The 32-bit drives for Windows guest now take _much_ more.
> VBoxGuest/VBoxSF/VBoxGINA drivers have risen from 700 KB (VBox 1.6) to
> whole 2.8 MB. (VBox 2.0)
> (quadrupling the size !)
> I see no valid reason for such kind of change, esp. because there was
> no significant improvement of functionality in those components with v2.0.
> The only thing I can think of is bad compiler or compiler options.

What are you talking about?

Module (32-bit)  v4.0              -                v2.0
VBoxGINA	~704 KB				  ~650 KB
VBoxGuest       ~102 KB                           ~40 KB
VBoxSF          ~228 KB                           ~195 KB

Note that 3D support added a lot of new stuff and 64-bit as well and 64-bit binaries are usually much larger than 32-bit binaries.

Achim