[vbox-dev] how to shutdown VBox open APIs?

Huihong Luo huisinro at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 18:19:26 GMT 2010

We got more and more users to request how to deliver a vm whose configuration cannot be modified in any way.

VBox is so powerful in its APIs, which is a very good feature compared to other vm software. However, this feature makes it very difficult to prevent people from chaning the vm settings, etc. Any thoughts on this?

VBox uses across process COM communications, so need a way to only allow internal components to use those APIs, but disallow external programs to use it. Even this is done, a hacker can easily hook a DLL's exports, and change the code.

For example, even if a VDI disk is encrypted, I can easily hook VBoxDDU.dll to dump its raw content, and bypass the encryption.