[vbox-dev] "Failed to create a session" after building OSE 3.2.6 on WindowsXP SP3

Huihong Luo huisinro at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 13:36:06 GMT 2010

try to run "comregister.cmd" first

--- On Tue, 8/3/10, Feng, Haitao <haitao.feng at intel.com> wrote:

From: Feng, Haitao <haitao.feng at intel.com>
Subject: [vbox-dev] "Failed to create a session" after building OSE 3.2.6 on WindowsXP SP3
To: "vbox-dev at virtualbox.org" <vbox-dev at virtualbox.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 2:21 AM

Hi,

I have followed your build instruction for Windows, but failed to create a new
virtual machine by using the built VirtualBox OSE.

My build env:

Windows XP SP3
VS2005 with service pack 1
Windows Platform SDK v6.1
Windows DDK 3900.1830

During building, there are some compilation errors. Those could be walked around
by modifying the WINNT.h to remove the volatile keyword from _interlockedbittestandset,
modifying some Makefile.kmk to change the _WIN32_WINNT to 0x0501.

But after building, when I create a new VM, VirtualBox complains "Failed to create a session".
Could you help me to solve this issue?

BTW: The OSE version works after I installed the PUEL 3.2.6, copied the VBoxSVC.exe,
VBoxC.dll, VBoxDDU.dll and VBoxDD.dll to OSE version, and then uninstalled the PUEL 3.2.6.
So I suspect this issue is related to Platform SDK and DDK.

Thanks
-Haitao