[vbox-dev] VBox Documentation -- Was: Help me understanding...

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Mon Aug 2 09:53:55 GMT 2010

Hello Alexey,

Le lundi 02 août 2010 à 11:07 +0200, Alexey Eremenko a écrit :
> Well, docs were asked by "negroni" in the link I provided.
I suppose that by forwarding the question the way you did you rather
make it your own.  Generally, the documentation inside the source code
about the details of how we implement things is, in my opinion at least,
of considerably better-than-average standard.  The documentation assumes
that you have the necessary background knowledge, such as how a device
which is being emulated actually works, because without knowing that
sort of thing you can't make any useful changes to the code anyway.

What we haven't done and to my knowledge don't plan to do is to write a
book providing a in-detail commentary on how the software works - we
simply don't have the time for that, and the code changes pretty fast
anyway.  If you combine the high level overviews on virtualbox.org with
the source code inline documentation and the background material I
mentioned (we don't provide links to it I'm afraid, that is an exercise
for the reader) you will get a pretty good picture though.

Hope that helps you to field that sort of question!

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineer
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at sun.com

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande