[vbox-dev] VBox Documentation -- Was: Help me understanding...

Knut St. Osmundsen knut.osmundsen at oracle.com
Mon Aug 2 08:57:33 GMT 2010

Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Huihong Luo <huisinro at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> ok, understood that piece of code. It was correct.
>>

> Some community members were asking for internal code VBox Documentation.
> http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32878
> To my knowledge, it doesn't exist. Only user docs + SDK docs.
>
> I think a possible solution would be to add comments along the way.
> I.e. if it takes like 10 minutes to understand a piece of code, isn't
> it better to invest 1 minute of time to comment it?
>
> 1. it will allow to look at the code few years later and re-understand it
> 2. it will allow more community developers to participate in VBox development

Your deep knowledge and insights moved us very much and we promise that
we will spend lots more time writing thorough comments from now on.  To
prove that we've turned away from our wicked no-comment-writing-ways the
entire team has been working extra hours this weekend trying to rectify
this shortcoming.

So, if you have doxygen installed you can see the fruits of this effort
by running 'kmk docs' and then inspect the contents of
out/*/*/docs/*/html/index.html with a web browser.  There are a quite a
few things to be desired from the docs, but that will improve with time.
 Enjoy.

;-)

--

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Vennlig hilsen,
  bird

--

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG  Knut St. Osmundsen
Werkstrasse 24                    Senior Staff Engineer, VirtualBox
71384 Weinstadt, Germany          mailto:bird at sun.com

Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 Muenchen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen, HRA 95603

Komplementaerin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
Geschaeftsfuehrer: J. Kunz, M. van de Molen, A. van der Ven