[vbox-dev] Guest/Host Communication

Klaus Espenlaub Klaus.Espenlaub at Sun.COM
Wed Apr 21 14:33:42 GMT 2010

kernalist wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering if VirtualBox provides some mechanism for guest and host to communicate: i.e. shared memory, or what not?
>
> Since VirtualBox offers bi-directional clipboard, such mechanism is possible to implement if it does not exist already (no?).

The most frequently used mechanism is "HGCM", the host-guest
communication manager. Clipboard sharing and other features are
implemented this way.

There are quite a number of examples in the source code, but I think
there is not that much documentation besides the source.