[vbox-dev] VirtualBox compilation troubles

Frank Mehnert Frank.Mehnert at Sun.COM
Mon Apr 19 08:13:11 GMT 2010

Hi,

On Saturday 17 April 2010, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> Host: Mandriva Linux 2010/x64
>
> This is the latest nightly SVN r28421.
>
> I have 3 problems
>
> 1. Configuration fails to detect Mesa on my system.
> 2. Even if I manually disable OpenGL support, it still tries to
> compile it and fails
> 3. VDE doesn't seem to compile (at least configuration script doesn't
> display it)

> Details:
> Problem #1:
>
> When trying to configure VirtualBox, it fails to detect my Mesa/OpenGL
> packages.
>
> ./configure --disable-hardening
>
> Checking for Xinerama: found, OK.
> Checking for Xrandr: found, OK.
> Checking for Xmu: found, OK.
> Checking for Mesa / GLU:
>   Mesa not found at -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib64
> -L/usr/local/lib -lXext -lX11 -lGL -I/usr/local/include or Mesa
> headers not found
>   Check the file /home/alexey/vbox/configure.log for detailed error
> information.
>
> I have the following Mesa packages installed.
>
> [alexey at localhost vbox]$ rpm -qa | grep -i mesa
> mesa-common-devel-7.5.2-2mdv2010.0
> lib64mesagl1-7.5.2-2mdv2010.0
> lib64mesaglu1-devel-7.5.2-2mdv2010.0
> lib64mesaglu1-7.5.2-2mdv2010.0
> mesa-demos-7.5.2-2mdv2010.0
> lib64mesaglw1-7.5.2-2mdv2010.0
> lib64mesaglw1-devel-7.5.2-2mdv2010.0
> lib64mesaglut3-devel-7.5.2-2mdv2010.0
> lib64mesaglut3-7.5.2-2mdv2010.0
> lib64mesagl1-devel-7.5.2-2mdv2010.0
> mesa-7.5.2-2mdv2010.0

The real problem should be visible in the configure.log file.
At least it seems that you have to correct libraries installed,
so I have to look at the configure.log file. Current trunk does
definitely compile on Mandriva 2010.0 / 64 bit.

> Problem #2:
> I have tried to workaround problem #1 by disabling OpenGL/Mesa.
> I have edited "configure" file, and set:
> WITH_OPENGL=0

As told by walt, please use --disable-opengl instead of manually
hacking the configure script. Though this is currently not enough
to disable the support for 2D video accelleration (which requires
3D host support as well). Therefore you have to use

  ./configure --disable-opengl ...

and then you have to edit AutoConfig.kmk and append

  VBOX_WITH_VIDEOHWACCEL :=
  VBOX_GUI_USE_QGL :=

> Problem #3:
> I have edited "configure" file, and set:
> WITH_VDE=1
> as I want to try out this new contribution
>
> However, the output of "./configure --disable-hardening" never mentions
> VDE. I would like to see that it looks for VDE, and which version of VDE
> found on host, if any.

Such a test will be added later. For the moment, use

  ./configure --enable-vde

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz