[vbox-dev] useful debug for OS X deadlock panics?

Knut St. Osmundsen bird at sun.com
Tue Apr 6 22:07:32 GMT 2010

On Apr 6, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Bayard Bell wrote:

> I've had ongoing problems with hangs and then watchdog panics in xnu deadlocks with VBox 3.1.4 and 3.1.6 (trac ticket 5783). The debug data I've been able to gather doesn't appear to be of much use (other than having the OS X panic reporter claim that it's VirtualBoxVM processes triggering the kernel deadlock), as the stack trace doesn't contain any symbolic information.

Using tstLdr-3, the address and filename in the "Loaded VMMR0.r0" line from VBox.log, and the stack addresses from the panic I find that we're probably in pgmDynMapFlushAutoSetWorker calling RTSpinlockAcquire when we panic.  I don't know why this happens yet, but we've got a lead now...

> I'm trying to my machine moved from OS X to OpenSolaris to resolve other issues (including some difficult to debug packet loss on traffic between the host and guests) and am hoping this will be resolved in the process, but this depends on more mature OS X guest support, where there's not much clarity on when that will be delivered.

This is already getting much much better, so you might want to try build the current SVN or wait for the beta to become available.

--

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Vennlig hilsen,
  Knut

--

Sun Microsystems GmbH        Knut St. Osmundsen
Werkstrasse 24               Senior Staff Engineer, VirtualBox
71384 Weinstadt, Germany     mailto:bird at sun.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH,
Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Gesch?ftsf?hrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels