[vbox-dev] VM Migration

Klaus Espenlaub Klaus.Espenlaub at Sun.COM
Wed Sep 16 17:39:12 GMT 2009

James Lucas wrote:
> Sun currently advertises a Suspend/Resume migration for Virtual Box hosts
> enabling you to move a Virtual machine without powering it off (They use
> Shutdown/Restart to describe cold migration).
> http://wikis.sun.com/display/VDI3dot1/VDI+3.1+Release+Notes

It's playing clever tricks with snapshots.

> Can someone from Sun please detail how this is currently achieved? I know this
> isn't the new Live Migration feature being worked on, this is something
> different and has appear in Sun blogs and now the VDI documentation without
> similar documentation on the Virtual Box side explaining how do do it.

The documentation is all there, it mentions how to associate a snapshot
with an existing VM. In the VDI context this is all pretty
straightforward with the information on a separate storage server, but
that's all ifs and buts in the generic context. There are lots of
pitfalls, and having a generic description of the manual would add many
pages of which most readers won't understand a word.