[vbox-dev] about Hyper-V hypercall interface?

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Wed Sep 16 16:01:51 GMT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: vbox-dev-bounces at virtualbox.org
[mailto:vbox-dev-bounces at virtualbox.org] On Behalf Of Frank Mehnert
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:08 AM
To: vbox-dev at virtualbox.org
Subject: Re: [vbox-dev] about Hyper-V hypercall interface?

Hi,

On Wednesday 16 September 2009, Huihong Luo wrote:
> Not sure if this makes sene. I was wondering whether performance would
> be improved if vbox implements Hyper-V enlightenment interfaces?
> Windows 7 (and later) is hypervisor aware. You can confirm this by
> checking the presence of winhv.sys, vmbus.sys, etc in system32\drivers
> dir. These drivers can pass through hardware requests directly to
> host. What if vbox implement some of them, and Windows 7 thinks itself
> is running on top of a hypervisor, hopefully it will be better performed
as a guest OS?
> Any plan in this direction?
>
> I checked Xen code, it implements a few of such calls.

Support is planned. Of course it makes sense to implement such interfaces
-- if they are well-accepted. In fact this is para-virtualization: Make the
guest aware that it runs inside a VM.

Kind regards,

Frank

[Geoff Nordli]

Frank, are you saying it would be compatible with Hyper-V virtual machines?
If so, that would be amazing to be able to move a machine seamlessly from a
Hyper-V server.

Thanks,

Geoff