[vbox-dev] Enable DrvHostSerial on FreeBSD

Fredrik Lindberg fli at shapeshifter.se
Wed Sep 9 19:24:15 GMT 2009

The existing code for the host serial device (DrvHostSerial.cpp)
works on FreeBSD, it's just disabled by ifdefs.

Attached is a patch to enable it, MIT license or whatever you want.
Compile-tested on FreeBSD 7 and 8, runtime tested on FreeBSD 8.

I've tested it with a cross-over serial cable (null modem) connected
between two (physical) machines. Used cu and minicom inside guest
to connect to another cu/minicom-instance running on the second
machine.
My testing has been limited to this as I really don't have any other
fancy serial equipment :)

Notes to people trying this with the ports version, the patch
does not apply cleanly and you'll have to modify
src/VBox/Devices/Makefile.kmk by hand.

Fredrik