[vbox-dev] 64-bit guest on 64-bit host

Nikolay Igotti Nikolay.Igotti at Sun.COM
Tue Oct 27 17:08:24 GMT 2009

  Tom,

You don't have to hide code to have functional VMM, for example VBox
patch code is visible to the guest, it's just being relocated if guest
tries to use particular patch address.
And unfortunately Intel marketing decided to keep low end Core 2 Duo
(such as mine E7400) without VT-x, so for some hardware it still makes
sense, just pretty hard to do. Also, IIRC, VMWare can run 64-bit OSes in
pure software mode.

Nikolay.