[vbox-dev] Custom front-end using non-OSE SDK

Brad Robinson brobinson at cantabilesoftware.com
Mon Oct 26 13:18:20 GMT 2009

Thanks Frank,

I did look quickly at VBoxSDL, but couldn't really find anything that helped
with this specific problem.

Regarding the VRDP, it's a pity that a custom front-end can't support that
through the SDK.  Is that a deliberate measure, or should the SDK support
it, or could it export a method that wires up those frame buffers?

Regarding the sharing violation, I suspect the log file is just not getting
closed correctly.  In my case I was trying to run the same VM twice (once
after the other) in the one process.  All the standard front ends seem to
run one VM and then shutdown - which would hide an unreleased file handle.

My interim approach to this is going to be simply launching VBoxHeadless.exe
- it solves both problems for me but the code is a lot messier.

In short what I'm trying to do here is run a headless VM, but not have the
console window show up - so OpenRemoteSession(... "vrdp"...) is no go to me.

Anyway, I'll get you a sample project ASAP so you can investigate what I'm
seeing.

Regards
Brad