[vbox-dev] writing to VHD/VDI is 50% slower of VMDK?

Huihong Luo huisinro at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 19 21:59:37 GMT 2009

yes, it's on windows, but it may perform similar on Linux too.

As Klaus pointed out in previous emails, it's more likely to do with the bitmap. Block size might be a factor too.

If you examine vhdWrite(), it does the following:

(1) read bitmap (1 sector)
(2) write block
(3) write footer
(4) write the bitmap

this is 4 disk i/o, and especially, (3) - > (4) repositions the disk head back, very expensive

Huihong