[vbox-dev] showing empty disks attached to controllers via command line

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Mon Nov 30 22:59:18 GMT 2009

Hi Klaus.

I understand it is a fairly niche use option.  Though, it could be a good
clean up tool, when your images get out of sync.  For example, right now in
my testing I have several different images, and I have messed up a few
snapshots.  I can't delete the VM from the GUI now, because the snapshot
file has been deleted.  Having the command line option to "--force" would be
beneficial here.

I can see some users being challenged by having large vdi files in limbo,
but isn't that the responsibility of the individual to manage?  If anything,
my suggestion is moving to a central directory like "c:\vbox"
"/var/lib/vbox" to hold all of the vbox files instead of burying it in the
home directory.

That is one of the first things I do when I install vbox, is to relocate the
default hard disk and machine folder path.

If there is enough of a problem, maybe a little clean up tool that goes out
and searches for vdi/vmdk/vhd files on the local drives, which aren't
attached to any vms.

Thanks,

Geoff