[vbox-dev] Race condition in DrvNAT.cpp (was: svn: NAT dropping all external packets)

Robin Green greenrd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 16:30:31 GMT 2009

Further to my earlier report on this list of NAT adapters stopping working
with svn and 3.1.0 beta versions, I believe I have identified the problem.

r23462 introduced the bug, by introducing a new thread to process "urgent"
packets, the communication of which with the existing thread isn't properly
synchronised. Basically, it's the classic bug of sending a signal to a
thread (in this case, the existing, non-urgent thread) without using a
critical section to ensure that the target thread is waiting for the signal
when it's sent. So occasionally the non-urgent thread misses the signal, and
thus (for all practical purposes) never wakes up, because it's waiting
indefinitely.

There *is* a lock taken inside RTSemEventSignal and RTSemEventWait, but that
doesn't prevent this because it only covers the waiting and signalling
itself, and not the real work. This (locking but making the critical section
too small) is also a classic bug.

I haven't tried to fix this because I'm not familiar with the code, but this
is my best guess at what's going wrong.
--
Robin