[vbox-dev] VirtualBox 3.1 BETA - VirtIO

Alexey Eremenko al4321 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 10:52:09 GMT 2009

VirtualBox 3.1 BETA
1. User Manual's changelog must contain: (major new feature)
***VirtIO network support

2. In the Qt GUI the VirtIO network - you have error.
You say that it is Linux-only. Not true.
VirtIO is available for Windows guests too... (both 32 and 64-bit VMs)

See:
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers
-and-
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Internals_of_NDIS_driver_for_VirtIO_based_network_adapter

Source code available, so you can build your own drivers. Red Hat
however has those drivers pre-built and WHQL tested, signed and
certified by Microsoft.
WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) ensures better drivers quality.
Basically I recommend you to have drivers pre-compiled, and signed by MS.

As for Linux guests, I think it requires kernel 2.6.24 (don't
remember), or backport. That is, you can install VirtIO drivers using
"VBoxLinuxAdditions" on older kernels. 2.6.18 for sure, maybe even
earlier, using your compile-on-demand tactics.

--
-"Technologov"