[vbox-dev] OSX 10.6 host + linux 2.6.26 guest crash

Frank Mehnert Frank.Mehnert at Sun.COM
Tue Nov 3 08:27:19 GMT 2009

Lev,

On Friday 30 October 2009, Lev Lvovsky wrote:
> I'm running Debian 'Lenny' as a guest of a OS X 10.6 with VBox version
> 3.0.10r54097 (though this error happened with 2.x, but I figured an
> upgrade might fix the problem).
>
> On Oct 23rd, a new kernel build was released, and upon installing it,
> and rebooting the guest OS, VBox would no longer start.  In the
> release notes for the kernel upgrade, was mention of the following:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/mmap_min_addr
>
> This is a link to the full changes applied to the kernel upgrade:
>
> http://www.packetstormsecurity.org/0910-advisories/dsa-1915-1.txt
>
> Reverting to the previous kernel (specifically, provided by the debian
> package: linux-image-2.6.26-2-686_2.6.26-17_i386.deb) fixed the
> problem.  Ideally of course I'd like to be able to upgrade.

I've installed the latest Lenny packages from proposed updates
which contain the new default value for MMAP but I'm not able
to reproduce your problem neither with VT-x enabled nor with
VT-x disabled. Though on a Linux host. I suggest you to open
a bug report. I can not see any general VBox restriction which
should be triggered by preventing guest mmaps to addresses
below 4096. When you open a bug report, please don't forget to
attach the complete VBox.log file of this failing VM session.
Thank you!

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel