[vbox-dev] svn commit r20097 clashes with nVidia's version of opengl

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Fri May 29 23:28:16 GMT 2009

r20097 | vboxsync | 2009-05-27 08:44:26 -0700 (Wed, 27 May 2009)
Main: reenable 3d hardware test

When I use nVidia's opengl implementation (it's included with their
proprietary video driver package) vbox dies immediately upon startup
with this message:

Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object. The application will now
terminate.    Callee RC:  NS_ERROR_ABORT (0x800004004)

The problem is not the video driver per se because everything works
perfectly if I use the opengl implementation from xorg instead of
the one from nVidia.  (Gentoo linux makes it trivial to switch
between the two opengl implementations.)

I'm using the nvidia-drivers-180.60 on an amd64x2 linux host.
I'd be very happy to try any patches or debugging tests if it
will help you out.

Thanks.