[vbox-dev] SVN and Multiple CPUs

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) mkhaos7 at gmail.com
Mon May 25 14:17:39 GMT 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 10:17, Frank Mehnert <Frank.Mehnert at sun.com> wrote:
> On Monday 25 May 2009, Antonio Augusto (Mancha) wrote:
>> Yesterday I update my SVN tree and build it on Debian Lenny.
>> I was surprised to see a revamp on the configuration GUI and the
>> option to run the VM with more than one CPU.
>> I tried it on my system (dual core AMD 64) running a backtrack live
>> image configured as Linux 2.6.
>>
>> The time the machine booted up my laptop started beeping like I've
>> never heard before. It had hanged and I could only turn it off with
>> the power button.
>>
>> So, this brings on my question: is v-SMP up to Alpha/Beta status and I
>> had a bad lucky running it or it is still broken beyond any usage?
>
> Remember: This is a subversion repository containing the latest
> development changes of VBox. Thinks can break and sometime thinks
> _will_ break.

Yeap, I know that. My question was more on the lines: "shoud I give
feedback on this or do you guys know it doesn't really work" :)

>> On a side note: "/etc/init.d/vboxdrv start" complains it couldn't load
>> vboxnetadp and tells me to look at dmesg, but it seens the module was
>> not build.
>> I didn't bother looking at the log but I might take a look if its
>> failing to build it for some reason.
>
> How did you build the kernel modules?

For the main package I used the debian build system (dpkg-buildpackage
-b -us -uc) and installed the resulting deb.
For the modules they were build during install.
I've DKMS installed on this system, but i dunno if it was used to
build the modules.

I can take a look on the build log latter and see if I can give you
guys better info on what happened.