[vbox-dev] C binding and event queue

Pritesh Kothari Pritesh.Kothari at Sun.COM
Fri May 8 15:31:45 GMT 2009

Hi Eric,

> Thanks Pritesh, I finally have the SDK eventing example working in OSE
> (using the C binding). But I would like this example to work in VirtualBox
> (not OSE),  so I have installed the version 2.2.2 and tried to execute
> 'tstXPCOMCCall', but I get the error " ./tstXPCOMCCall: FATAL:
> VBoxCGlueInit failed: /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOMC.so:
> pfnGetFunctions(0x20000) failed ". I suppose this is an incompatibility
> issue between both versions of VBox.. any ideas??

Unfortunately 2.2.0/2 doesn't have EventQueue support, just the basic C API
support, as it was added only after 2.2 was released and since VirtualBox
doesn't break the API for updates, it is not possibly to backport it.

but in any case "IF and only IF" you need to get it working desperately then
just follow the steps below, but it may not work and surely that way you can't
file bugs against 2.2.0/2 for any other drawback caused due to these steps:

* download http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.2.2/VirtualBox-2.2.2-
OSE.tar.bz2
* apply this following changeset to it:
http://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/18998
* compile it and just replace VBoxXPCOMC.so from your installation with the
one you just compiled.
* copy the VBoxCAPI_v2_5.h file from the out directory to where your
VBoxCAPI_v2_2.h file is.

hopefully it should work, but i am not sure it will and be aware that it may
break some other functionality, try it only if you really really need it.

Regards,
Pritesh