[vbox-dev] Chromium in Virtualbox

Chris Smowton chris at smowton.net
Sat Jul 4 00:52:59 GMT 2009

Hello,

First of all apologies if this is the wrong list to ask :)

I wonder if anybody involved could enlighten me as to Vbox's use of
Chromium deviates from base Chromium. Specifically:

Chromium itself forwards individual apps' rendering, but does not
concern itself with composing 3D application output with other 2D apps'
drawing and window manager output. My first guess would be that Vbox's X
video driver would need to hook ValidateTree or similar X callbacks in
order to retrieve clipping information pertaining to remoted 3D clients
and perform composition host-side, but I haven't been able to find the
appropriate blob of code as of yet -- is this actually what's taking
place, or does Vbox take a different approach entirely? I note that your
X graphics driver exposes DRI support -- but doesn't appear to actually
supply any non-stub functions. Is clip /  composition information being
extracted from the X/DRI module in a way I haven't found as yet?

Thanks very much to anybody who can spare the time to enlighten me :) As
I'm following this list online at the moment, I'd appreciate if any
reply were to be copied to cs448 at cam.ac.uk.

Chris