[vbox-dev] OSE win32 guest additions 3.0.0 - .inf files for D3D?

S. Brandt sbrandt at gmx.de
Wed Jul 1 14:01:46 GMT 2009

Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM, S. Brandt<sbrandt at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi, everybody,
>>
>> I'm trying to create the 3.0.0 version of the guest additions
>> installer/package for win32.
>> http://code.google.com/p/virtual-box-windows-guest-additions-installer/wiki/MainPage
>>
>> Quite a bunch of files have been added, to support D3D 8 and 9, using wine,
>> it seems. Yet, the .inf files have not really been updated, only the driver
>> versions have been bumped.
>>
>> Is there any information what needs to be done to correctly install the D3D
>> drivers in a guest system?
>>

> *.inf files are only needed for drivers. VirtualBox simply rewrites
> Direct3D DLLs, so it doesn't need to have any INF files.
>
> VirtualBox uses WineD3D which forwards all Direct3D calls via OpenGL.
>
> In fact you can install WineD3D on your host platform, so all Direct3D
> code runs via OpenGL on host.

Sorry, could you please explain in more detail?
Just "putting" the VBox D3D dlls into the guests system dir did not result
in any change concerning dxdiag - no D3D support.
Why should I install WineD3D on the host?
I expect, if it correctly installed on the guest, the calls are forwarded
via OpenGL to the host opengl - based on the opengl support already
available in vbox guest->host.
Yet, how do I correctly install WineD3D on the guest?

Thanks,
Sebastian