[vbox-dev] FreeBSD Port Status

Knut St. Osmundsen bird at sun.com
Mon Feb 23 15:32:53 GMT 2009

Martes G Wigglesworth wrote:
> Greetings List.
>
> I have been attempting to inquire as to the status of any FreeBSD port
> work.  I would like to get involved, however, I have not had a chance to
> make contact with the correct person, except for a breif IM session on
> the channel.
>
> Anyone have any status as to the functional behaviors of the attempts to
> port to BSD?  I was directed to the "wiki" that I am not sure was there
> a few months ago, however, there is still no information on how
> functional the port is.

No real change wrt FreeBSD port of VirtualBox since the discussion
October last year. A few FreeBSD kernel guys have been in touch but
we've gotten no code yet... And the code was made to compile on FreeBSD
7.1 some time before the 2.1.2 release.

What we want help with is to figure out how implement the memory API
(src/VBox/Runtime/r0drv/freebsd/memobj-r0drv-freebsd.c) on FreeBSD.
Also, we need someone understanding device cloning (or how to
efficiently associate instance data with a file descriptor in a
different manner). Before this is in place the port is able to run VMs.

--

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Vennlig hilsen,
  Knut

--

Sun Microsystems GmbH        Knut St. Osmundsen
Werkstrasse 24               Senior Staff Engineer, VirtualBox
71384 Weinstadt, Germany     mailto:bird at sun.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH,
Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder,
Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boehmer