[vbox-dev] Console breakage from Linus

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 18:58:47 GMT 2009

commit be03d9e8022030c16abf534e33e185bfc3d40eef
Author: Suresh Siddha <suresh.b.siddha at intel.com>
Date:   Wed Feb 11 11:20:23 2009 -0800
x86, pat: fix warn_on_once() while mapping 0-1MB range with /dev/mem

This recent commit to Linus.git causes a runtime error when trying
to start a virtual machine on a linux guest with CONFIG_X86_PAT=y
in the kernel .config.

Vbox pops up an error dialog complaining of a missing symbol but
doesn't say which symbol.  It does mention the problem is with the
virtual console, which is what I would expect from reading the help
section for CONFIG_X86_PAT in the kernel configure dialog.

Removing CONFIG_X86_PAT works around the problem, but I'm wondering
if this is a bug somewhere that could be fixed.

Any ideas?  Anyone else seeing this problem?