[vbox-dev] reserved identifier violation

Markus Elfring Markus.Elfring at web.de
Wed Feb 18 18:45:22 GMT 2009

Jens Schweikhardt wrote:
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Reserved-Names.html
>
> If you read that page, count the number of rules, which identifier is
> reserved and when.

It looks like a big challenge to create unique identifiers.

> How much easier is it to use __foo and be done?

It may be convenient to ignore or exclude a few rules. But I have got doubts
because software correctness might be affected.

> It appears you are arguing for not entering the implementation name space
> for standard conformance's sake.

Yes - I stress this design aspect a bit.

> Strict ISO C conformance could never be a goal here.

I hope that open issues from the applied naming convention can be improved.

> Believe it or not, I even wrote a program to check for name space issues
> in C implementations so that compiler vendors can improve their
> sometimes shoddy understanding of it

Would any software developer like to be more strict with parts from the
VirtualBox source code?

Regards,
Markus