[vbox-dev] Hypervisor interface/API for guest VM's

Paul Parker pparkerspam at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 20:46:04 GMT 2009

Hi all,

I'm evaluating VMM's for use in a research project.  I need access to the source
so I can extend the hypervisor.  VirtualBox looks like a good system and seems
to have good momentum.

I have a couple of questions:

1.  Are there any facilities for inter-VM communication?  E.g., shared memory,
events, message-passing.  (Optimized inter-VM networking is not helpful to me
personally.)

2.  How is the hypervisor invoked from within a guest?  Undefined opcode?  Can I
find more about this somewhere, and/or where can I find it in the code?

Thanks,

Paul Parker

P.S.  So far I know that it would be possible to extend Xen to provide the
functionality I desire, but my impression is that the Xen codebase is large and
complex.