[vbox-dev] showing empty disks attached to controllers via command line

Klaus Espenlaub Klaus.Espenlaub at Sun.COM
Tue Dec 1 11:06:25 GMT 2009

Hi Geoff,

Geoff Nordli wrote:

> [...]

This is niche use, and what you describe below is your personal way to
use VirtualBox. I wouldn't even call that a niche...

> I can see some users being challenged by having large vdi files in limbo,
> but isn't that the responsibility of the individual to manage?  If anything,
> my suggestion is moving to a central directory like "c:\vbox"
> "/var/lib/vbox" to hold all of the vbox files instead of burying it in the
> home directory.

That's the curse of Windows brainwash... files which are created, owned,
manipulated etc. by an individual user belong into his home directory.
Nowehere else. The exact location is certainly a different story, but
the general approach is clear. Putting personal files of several users
in a central location doesn't sound like a good design to me.

Sure, for a setup where only a single user will be present it might be a
viable solution.

> That is one of the first things I do when I install vbox, is to relocate the
> default hard disk and machine folder path.

You're free to do so, but don't expect us to make this default.

> If there is enough of a problem, maybe a little clean up tool that goes out
> and searches for vdi/vmdk/vhd files on the local drives, which aren't
> attached to any vms.

There are plans for reducing/eliminating the medium registry, and then
this gets more and more tricky. Should the tool also search for ISO
files? Some people might like that as well. In general, tools can't
replace the user's brain.