[vbox-dev] Linux Guest Additions Installation

Michael Thayer Michael.Thayer at Sun.COM
Mon Aug 3 02:39:20 PDT 2009

Hello Chris,

Chris Smowton wrote:
> I'm currently trying to build VB OSE from source; whilst this has been
> successful thus far, I can't see any documentation regarding how exactly
> the guest additions ought to be installed into my guest VMs.
> Specifically I'm only concerned with graphics-related additions, in
> particular accelerated GL (cr) support.
> Could someone give me a pointer as to what to do with the stack of
> binaries that get dropped into out/.../bin/additions and lib/additions?
Your best bet is probably to take a look at the non-OSE Additions
installer.  You can get at it it  by running the .run installer file
with the additional command line parameters "--keep --noexec" and
looking at the file "install.sh" among the files extracted.  Please note
that redistribution of this file is not allowed.

Sun Microsystems GmbH        Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24               VirtualBox engineer
71384 Weinstadt, Germany     mailto:michael.thayer at sun.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028