[vbox-dev] vbox on Fedora 11: my adventures
seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 11:37:31 PDT 2009
I've installed F 11 beta x86_64, and updated it through today - almost
the release freeze. This is a new quad q8300 box with 4 gigs. I'd used
kvm, but not vbox. The q8300 does not support vmx, so I decided to try vbox.
1. The F10 binary won't install:
rpm -Uvh VirtualBox-2.2.0_45846_fedora9-1.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
libcrypto.so.7()(64bit) is needed by
libpython2.5.so.1.0()(64bit) is needed by
F11 uses python 2.6, and openssl-0.9.8k, so no joy.
2. VirtualBox-2.2.0-OSE.tar.bz2 won't build - it wants gcc <= 4.3, F11
has 4.4. Also, it wants the entire 32bit build chain.
3. But there's a package review on rpmfusion for a src.rpm for VB-2.1.4:
https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=285, which has links to
src.rpm and spec files.
Don't understand why it's at rpmfusion - VB is GPL'd, right?
4. The patches from rpmfusion don't apply cleanly against 2.2, but if
you mess with them a little, it'll work.
5. You need to build the main package: VirtualBox-OSE.spec ; install the
VirtualBox-OSE-kmodsrc-2.2.0-0.fc11.x86_64.rpm ; then build the kernel
module itself: VirtualBox-OSE-kmod.spec. There's a switch at the top of
the VirtualBox-OSE-kmod.spec files. I think you need to comment it out
if you're upgrading or initially installing VB. Leave it in if you're
just updating for a new kernel. I think.
And the rpms you end up with:
Now to see if it all works.
More information about the vbox-dev