[vbox-dev] A long-list of long-waiting feature-requests

Klaus Espenlaub Klaus.Espenlaub at Sun.COM
Thu Apr 23 09:24:44 GMT 2009

Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> During the years I have created many feature-requests.

Any feedback is appreciated, and as you'll see below, most of the
proposals are on our todo list.

> I would like to know if developers could take a second look at those
> interesting ideas:

I'll comment inline, as adding answers to each defect won't change the
state of most of them.

> 1. [feature-request] Please add Clone VDI command to Virtual Disk Manager GUI
> http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/449

Will be done whenever we have time for this. There's plenty of other GUI
changes pending (like being able to rename images, or to create all
kinds of VDI/VMDK/VHD/... images).

> 2. feature-request: Hardware Virtualization GUI Info Utility
> http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1735

That's indirectly already available in 2.2 - so bear with us that this
has not the highest priority. HW emulation is on by default, and grayed
out if not available. And all the gory details you never wanted to know
about are in VBox.log.

> 3. [feature-request] Make virtual monitor (screen/display) customizable
> http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/715

Again a "nice to have" kind of feature which requires lots of work to
implement. We'll get to it eventually.

> 4. [feature-request] Revolutionary CLI for mass-management of Virtual
> Linux Servers
> http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/893

The idea sounds simple, but is quite complicated in the context of
virtualization (it's easy for containers). Again, it's planned to have
this feature, but there are plenty of security issues to keep in mind.
Every hole we drill into the complete separation between host and VM
needs to be carefully evaluated, we try to avoid security alerts if we
can help it.

> 5. [feature-request] Shared Folders should use ISO9660 filesystem
> instead of vboxfs
> http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1970

I really don't see what the original proposal would achieve - ISO
filesystem can't be easily created on the fly (what happens if a file is
created/deleted on the host side in a shared folder while the VM is
running?). You can already mount ISOs without any difficulty, so I fail
to see what this would really change. That's essentially what other
comments in that feature request also say. Comment 3 there is along the
lines of what we planned as another mechanism, again whenever we find time.