[vbox-dev] Drag-n-drop alive again

Michael Thayer Michael.Thayer at Sun.COM
Wed Apr 15 09:28:11 GMT 2009

Hello Sergiy,

What do you (or anyone else who is interested) think of the following
idea?  We could use a permanent shared folder rather than one or several
temporary ones.  This folder could be created automatically when the VM
is created (or started) and could map, on the host, to some directory
under the $VBOX_HOME/<VM Name> configuration directory - perhaps
$VBOX_HOME/<VM Name>/Drop.  It could be mapped automatically when the
Guest Additions start up.  When files are dragged from the host to the
guest, a symbolic link to the files could be created in that drop
directory, which would solve the copy time issues (would this also work
on Windows hosts?)

I also wonder whether, rather than trying to hide all this from the
user, we could make the drop directory part of the documented interface,
so that the user can see what dropped files are currently available to
the guest and clean them up themselves as needed?  Alternatively, the
Guest Additions or the host could clean up when the VM is shut down.

Regards,

Michael