[vbox-dev] Unsent patches for using VS2005 internal PSDK (was: Using Visual Studio 2005 with internal PSDK for windows builds)

Klaus Espenlaub Klaus.Espenlaub at Sun.COM
Wed Oct 8 16:40:39 GMT 2008

nolan de souza wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro2 at gmail.com
> <mailto:jasonspiro2 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     2008/10/7 nolan de souza <nolandsouza at gmail.com
>     <mailto:nolandsouza at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > I have a few patches for building VirtualBox trunk on Windows
>     with just
>      > Visual Studio 2005 (and the PSDK that comes with it) and without
>     having to
>      > install the external PSDK as mentioned in
>      > "http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Windows%20build%20instructions"
>      >
>      > Would it be nice to have these patches published... I can do
>     that? Or do we
>      > really don't care about that kinda setup?
>
>     Just curious:  Do they break anything for users of other Microsoft
>     compilers?
>

> Don't think so. Nonetheless, I'll review my changes to make sure that
> nothing breaks in the builds.
>
> Well, without the "externally" installed PSDK, the build fails at couple
> of places. Even though the build instructions above say that the PSDK
> coming with VS2005 should work, the build scripts are not equipped to
> deal with this setup. PSDK is not found and further up, the Midl.exe &
> MC.exe within "Microsoft Visual Studio8\Common7" folder are not found.

The easiest way of getting such changes included is to contribute them.
Having separate patches floating around and getting stale over time
isn't a good solution.

The easiest way is sending them to this list and state that you release
them under the MIT license (other options and details on
http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Contributor_information ). We gladly accept
anything which is doing more good than harm. Of course we prefer
perfectly clean changes, however we're willing to to a reasonable bit of
tidying ourselves.

Lowering the build hurdles on Windows is definitely a good thing.