[vbox-dev] Code Submission: Enhanced BIOS settings for better Windows support

Davide Cavalca davide125 at tiscali.it
Sun May 25 15:32:59 GMT 2008

Attached is an updated patch for SVN (I used revision 9092). I blindly
adapted it to the new release, all credits go to Hans Holzer.

Since in the SVN version the DMI parameters can now be set using
VBoxManage, they have been removed from this patch. The patch still uses
environment variables for the ACPI parameters: I tried to convert to
extradata parameters but got stuck, so I preferred to publish the patch
as is in case someone found it useful. The patch compiles fine, but
please note it is currently untested.

The available parameters are:
> set VBOX_BIOS_RSDT_OEMID="ABCD  "
> set VBOX_BIOS_RSDT_OEMTABLEID="B8K    "
> set VBOX_BIOS_XSDT_OEMID="ABCD  "
> set VBOX_BIOS_XSDT_OEMTABLEID="B8K    "
> set VBOX_BIOS_SLIC_FILENAME=c:\temp\slic.bin

As in the original patch
> if VBOX_BIOS_XSDT_OEMTABLEID or VBOX_BIOS_XSDT_OEMID are not set then
> the value of VBOX_BIOS_RSDT_OEMTABLEID or VBOX_BIOS_RSDT_OEMID is
> used.
> If a variable is not set the hard coded default is used. So the
> default behavior remains unchanged.

The original patch by Hans Holzer was under the MIT license; this
update is under the same license.

Best regards,
Davide Cavalca
davide125(at)tiscali.it