[vbox-dev] Help building VBox on WinXP - understanding toolchain

Doug biteme at bitbasher.net
Sat Mar 22 04:58:22 GMT 2008

Hi,

I've read the information about building vbox on windows here:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Windows%20build%20instructions

I have no trouble installing all the native Win32 tools (VS2005, SDK,
DDK, SDL, DXSDK), but the MinGW tools are all just a bunch of files in
tar archives.

Where do I install all the MinGW files?  Do I need to set them up in any
special way or run any installer?

There is mention on the page of cygwin but cygwin is NOT listed as a
prerequisite tool.  Do I need cygwin?  If so, where do I get it and
which version should I use.

Basically, if someone can give me a few easy steps to get all the needed
tools correctly installed for WinXP I'd really appreciate it.

Doug.