[vbox-dev] VBox Device - Host Driver communication

Nicolay Vizovitin vizovitin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 09:14:13 GMT 2008

On 7/23/08, Klaus Espenlaub <Klaus.Espenlaub at sun.com> wrote:
> Device emulations in VirtualBox - especially if they need to do ioctls -
> are regular user level programs. And since ioctls are by definition
> completely specific to the host OS and the driver in question there is
> no IPRT support for this. But as your device is inherently OS specific
> there's probably nothing wrong with just doing the ioctls you need.

Exactly as I have supposed. Thanks for clearing the point.

> May I ask what kind of network interface this is? Because many network
> interfaces can be used through the existing networking support.

Sure. I'm trying to create kind of mirror in guest OS of existing
physical network interface card. Here by "mirror" I mean forwarding
all requests for virtual resources to the underlying hardware.
Obviously, this method should have some serious limitations. And it
may look like it conflicts with the very idea of virtualization. But
here we get an opportunity to completely delegate the hardware piece
to guest OS.

--Best regards,
  dfl