[vbox-dev] host calling into vm for async I/O?

Sander van Leeuwen Sander.Vanleeuwen at Sun.COM
Tue Jul 15 07:54:39 GMT 2008

There's is no such reversed callback mechanism for HGCM. You'd either
have to poll or make a guest thread block in a wait for directory change
HGCM call. The latter
is not that easy as an HGCM client is single threaded.

Sander

Huihong Luo wrote:

> Are there any APIs that can invoke vm's functions from host (opposite
> to VbglHGCMCall which does vm to host calls)?
>
> I am trying to implement directory change notification features on
> windows shared folders. Basically, when files change in a host folder,
> I want the host to invoke a callback function inside vm.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Huihong

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Met vriendelijke groet

--

Sun Microsystems GmbH        Sander van Leeuwen
Werkstrasse 24               Senior Staff Engineer, VirtualBox
71384 Weinstadt, Germany     mailto:Sander.Vanleeuwen at sun.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH,
Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder,
Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boehmer