[vbox-dev] Guest/Host interactions

Klaus Espenlaub espenlaub at innotek.de
Thu Feb 28 11:19:24 GMT 2008

Frédéric Dreier wrote:
> Does it means that if I download virtualbox from SVN and compile it, it
> will not support microsoft OS as guest? Or is binary libraries in SVN?

I was specifically talking about guest additions (the full source code
of the vbox host driver is included, so that's not an issue at all). The
guest addition driver plays a vital role in guest/host interactions. You
could use the binary which comes with current virtualbox packages.

Adding the functionality you are thinking about seems feasible without
changing the additions drivers we provide, but you have to be prepared
for working with a binary black box. And the documentation in that area
is pretty sparse - we didn't anticipate people trying to contribute
stuff there.

--
Dr. Klaus Espenlaub     innotek GmbH, http://www.innotek.de