[vbox-dev] Guest/Host interactions

Michael Thayer michael at innotek.de
Thu Feb 28 09:37:22 GMT 2008

Frédéric Dreier wrote:
>> It's certainly not impossible, bit it's a lot of work (and involves
>> quite a bit of system programming). And as the windows guest additions
>> aren't completely available in the open source edition (due to copyright
>> issues, as it's almost impossible writing a windows driver from scratch
>> without using driver source code samples (c) microsoft, which prohibits
>> releasing the source), it's pretty tough.
>>

> Does it means that if I download virtualbox from SVN and compile it, it
> will not support microsoft OS as guest? Or is binary libraries in SVN?

Hello Frédéric,

No, VirtualBox emulates hardware, so it can run Windows as a guest
without special drivers.  The drivers are just needed to improve
performance.

By the way, you might consider just creating tools in the guest and the
host which communicate over the (virtual) network to control the guest
from the host.  This would not require anything VirtualBox-specific.

Regards,

Michael
--
innotek GmbH (http://www.innotek.de/)