[vbox-dev] Guest/Host interactions

Klaus Espenlaub espenlaub at innotek.de
Wed Feb 27 12:37:32 GMT 2008

Frédéric Dreier wrote:
> I look a way to access guest OS informations from the host OS. Is there
> a way to get for example the list of running processes or access the
> filesystem inside a running VM from the hosting OS?

Currently not. All such functionality needs to be implemented in the
guest additions. By itself VirtualBox has no clue what logical
structures exist inside a guest - it just virtualizes the CPU, the
various peripherals etc.

> Do you think it is practicable or just "mission impossible" (specialy in
> case of Microsoft OS) ?

It's certainly not impossible, bit it's a lot of work (and involves
quite a bit of system programming). And as the windows guest additions
aren't completely available in the open source edition (due to copyright
issues, as it's almost impossible writing a windows driver from scratch
without using driver source code samples (c) microsoft, which prohibits
releasing the source), it's pretty tough.

--
Dr. Klaus Espenlaub     innotek GmbH, http://www.innotek.de