[vbox-dev] Starting the virtual machine 0%

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 18:11:23 GMT 2008

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:51:02 +0100, Frank Mehnert wrote:

On Sunday 17 February 2008, JD wrote:
> > BINGO!! I disabled the audio device, and the machine
> > started up.
> > The downside is that NONE of the audio options will
> > let me start the machine. My sound card is one of
> > those cheap realtek MB integrated chips on laptop.
> > FC7 sees it as:

Is there a PulseAudio server running at your distribution?

Does playing multiple audio streams in parallel work for sound
applications with an ALSA backend?

Kind regards,

Frank

---------------------

No there is no Pulse audio server running.
Since I was totally unfamiliar with pulse audio,
it was the last (bottom-most) option to select from
the list of audio devices inthe VM vonfig menu.
So I thought I would select it,  since none of the other options
were working (i.e. I was getting stuck at 0%).

Playing multiple streams in parallel does work currently
with the audio drivers I currently have in the host OS. To wit:
# lsmod | grep -i alsa
# lsmod | grep -i oss
snd_seq_oss 37185 0
snd_seq_midi_event 14913 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 56673 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 15061 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss 47553 0
snd_mixer_oss 22721 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 80585 6 snd_intel8x0,snd_intel8x0m,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd 59753 16
snd_intel8x0,snd_intel8x0m,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer