[vbox-dev] VBoxManage clonehd unexpected behavior

André Neves andrechalella at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 03:49:14 GMT 2008

In my attempts to clone a VDI in order to have it static, I found some
problems with VBoxManage.

First, the "-format RAW" argument wasn't accepted, even though it's
typed exactly like that in the documentation (VBoxManage --help).
After a lot of fiddling I found that "-format raw" was the right form.
Perhaps it's the case of fixing the documentation or the
implementation.

Second, attempting to clone my dynamic image with "-format raw" would
yield an error:

---

$ ./VBoxManage clonehd ~andre/.VirtualBox/VDI/WindowsXP.vdi bla -format raw
VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 2.1.1_OSE
(C) 2005-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
All rights reserved.

0%...FAILED
Error: failed to clone hard disk. Error message: Could not create the
clone hard disk '/home/andre/.VirtualBox/bla' (VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER)

---

Note that cloning with "-format VDI" works (doesn't generate a dynamic
image, but still).

I'm pointing these problems in this list because of the problems I
met, but I reckon there's a chance vbox-users might be the place for
this message. If this is the case, I apologize in advance.

Regards,
André