[vbox-dev] Latest svn vbox runs only as root?

Frank Mehnert Frank.Mehnert at Sun.COM
Sun Aug 31 19:08:37 GMT 2008

walt,

On Sunday 31 August 2008, walt wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, walt wrote:
> > A very recent commit to svn makes it impossible to run vbox as
> > an ordinary user, even if I set it suid root...
>
> I forgot the most important thing of all:  I see this only on the
> x86_64 (amd k8) version of vbox.  The x86 version works normally.

I forward the answer from Knut here as his previous E-mail was
accidently sent to the wrong address:

  Developers which wish to run directly from the build directory
  should add VBOX_WITHOUT_HARDENING=1 to their LocalConfig.kmk. If
  you're going to pack and install the stuff, you need to mark
  VirtualBox, VirtualBox3, VBoxHeadless, VBoxSDL and VBoxBFE (you
  might not be shipping all these) as setuid like done at the bottom
  of debian/postinst.

  Instead of editing LocalConfig.kmk there is now  a configure option
  for disabling this setuid requirement:

     ./configure --disable-hardened

  Make sure you update any udev rules and reload the right vboxdrv
  after build it like this, otherwise it won't run (you'll get access
  denied errors).

Kind regards,

Frank
--