[vbox-dev] Custom external VRDP authentication

James Lucas jimmy at secsme.org.au
Fri Aug 8 10:33:45 GMT 2008

>From what I have read in the forums and mailling lists, there aren't
any custom VRDP auth plugins written for VirtualBox yet.

I've given it a go and have been trying to get my head around a few
issues that I've run into. Any help would be appreciated.

Background is we have an xlmrpc based authentication service that knows
which users has which virtual machine running on a headless server).
I've written the plugin to use the xmlrpc-c libraries to request
authentication/authorisation and grant/disallow access on a boolean
return from the xmlrpc service. I've chosen to use xmlrpc-c because it
handles failures well and can be implemented in only a few lines of code
on the client side.

A simple plugin works fine (Eg just returning success with some syslog
code thrown for logging/debugging). However if I link my shared library
to another library (ie xmlrpc-c library) then Virtual Box refuses to
load the external plugin with a VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND error (strange that
it doesn't report a failure to load the library instead).

Has anyone else tried to write their own external authenticator? I would
like to know if there are any tricks for when the external authenticator
needs to link off some other shared libraries (which nearly all external
authenticator would need to do).

This is a feature that has always been included in the VirtualBox
feature set, yet it seems that no one has used it. Having this would
solve an issue we have with a shared headless server that is running
multiple vms.

Regards,
    James

--

James Lucas
Senior IT Systems Administrator

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If