[vbox-dev] VirtualBox-1.6.4-OSE.tar.bz2 not compile in ubuntu hardy/intrepid

Klaus Espenlaub Klaus.Espenlaub at Sun.COM
Mon Aug 4 17:40:11 GMT 2008

Antonio Doldo wrote:
> Hello,
> in the last days I have two unsatisfaction works, the first is the
> compilation of svn version of 1.6.2 of VB, and a bug communicate  is
> closed by admin:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1860

This is not 1.6.2, this is svn - 1.6.51. And the problem is fixed, as
indicated in the ticket. Update your working copy and everything should
build without error.

> The second: Yesterday I download the OSE sources of VB 1.6.4 and the
> compile work fail on the virgin system of a stable release (hardy) and
> another dev release (intrepid)
> I not want open a bug for a compile problem, but the problem is effective,
> there are peoples with this trouble?

Problem acknowledged. The cause is shifting around sources without
making sure that appropriate Makefiles are in the right places in the
OSE tarball. Makefile.kmk was missing from src/apps and src/apps/tunctl.

The easiest workaround is deleting the entire apps subdirectory, but
then tunctl won't be built - a problem on distros which doesn't have
tunctl, and also a problem that things documented in the manual won't
quite work.

The other way of fixing this is putting the Makefiles which are attached
in this mail in the right places. The file mentioning apps goes into the
src/apps dir, the one mentioning tunctl goes into src/apps/tunctl.

Sorry about this confusion. In the next release this will be fixed.